A wireless router acts as a bridge between your connection to the Internet and your computers, tablets, and other mobile devices. The router allows multiple users to connect to the Internet at the same time through a Wi-Fi connection. Routers can vary, depending on what you need it for, so it’s important to know what you’re buying.
Kinds of Wireless Router Available
Wireless routers come under three classifications – B, G, and N. The letters refer to the wireless communication standard on which your particular router is based, and these include 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b.
These codes refer to the generation of the router, and thus the standard speed you should expect from the device. The B router is a first generation device, a G router is the second generation, and an N router is the newest generation of devices. The best wireless routers are N- generation. This is the best wireless router for home and business purposes owing to its improved speeds.
Routers also come in Two Radio, Selectable, and Dual Band options.
What to Look for in a Wireless Router
Looking to purchase a wireless router? You should first understand the two bands of wireless communication, which are 2.4GHz and 5GHz. B and G-standard routers will use the 2.4GHz band. However, a more modern G-standard router is able to use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. A Single Band router will only operate on the 2.4GHz band, whereas a Dual Band router can operate on both.
If you’re looking for the fastest speeds, you should consider purchasing the latest generation N routers. When you use 2.4GHz routers, your device will be competing with other home appliances and devices that operate on this frequency, including wireless phones and even your microwave.
An N-generation device operating on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz can provide a more reliable service for multiple devices.
Tips When Buying a Wireless Router
When looking for your new router, you should consider a number of features. As well as being a single or dual band, you should consider the following features and abilities.
Currently, most routers on the market will support regular WEP securities on top of WPA and WPA2. WEP is the Wired Equivalent Privacy security protocol that offers basic security, and WPA/WPA2 builds on that. If you are looking to control what users can access when they are using your router, you also need to consider purchasing one with Access Controls.
This means you can stop users from accessing websites that you consider to be inappropriate, which is a useful feature for both parents and businesses.
As mentioned, routers operate in two bands – 2.4GHz and 5GHz. A 5GHz-band router will be your quicker option, providing up to 300Mbps. B and G-standard routers will peak at 11Mbps and 54Mbps, respectively.
Faster is always better, but remember that your connection can only be as fast as your Internet connection will allow. For instance, if your web provider only offers an Internet connection of up to 50MBps, then only a B or G-standard router will be useful to you. However, if your Internet connection is capable of speeds beyond 54Mbps, you should consider purchasing an N-standard router.
While most users will utilize Wi-Fi connectivity for their mobile devices, laptops, and tablets, wired connectivity can be useful, too. Most routers on the market will also contain Ethernet pots, which allow you to hard-write your laptop or computer to your router. This avoids any potential obstructions to your wireless connection and means you get faster transmission speeds.
For the very fasted transmission speeds from your router, be sure to invest in a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports.
What are some of the Best Wireless Router?
In 2017, there are some extremely high-quality routers available which operate in the 5GHz band, have Gigabit Ethernet connections, and which can provide quick transmission speeds for multiple devices at once.
The Google Wi-Fi router is one of the simplest routers on the market and arguably one of the most attractive. The circular and white device is really easy to set up and offers great value for money. It has two Gigabit Ethernet ports, operates on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and can be connected to other devices to provide even coverage throughout a property.
With Gigabit Ethernet ports, single USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, an SD reader and four antennae, the Synology router combines the technology of a traditional router with a network-attached storage device. It has 4GB of built-in storage, but you can attach external memory and connect it to the Cloud. Users can also download VPN client and server apps straight onto the router, and it offers connection speeds of up to 800Mbps. This is arguably the best wireless router for gaming, thanks to its high speeds, multiple antennae and ability to connect with multiple devices seamlessly.
Linksys has released a brand new router that maintains its classic blue and black design. It has four antennae, four Gigabit Ethernet ports, a USB 3.0 port, and speeds up to 867 Mbps. It offers open-source firmware support, and its unflattering design makes it ideal for an office space that simply needs an effective tool for high Internet speeds. If you are unfamiliar with router technology, however, its extra features may be confusing – despite this, it’s one of the best wireless routers for multiple devices.
These are some of the best wireless routers of 2017, but there are plenty more available. Take these key points into account when choosing the right router for you, and you’ll get the speed and reliability you need.
- AC1900 WiFi-600+1300 Mbps speeds
- 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- Ideal for homes with 12 or more WiFi devices
- Advanced features for lag-free gaming
- Prioritized bandwidth for gaming, streaming videos, or music. 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 Port
- Delivers speeds of up to N300 + AC867 mbps
- Does not include modem. Platform compatibility: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32/64, Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8 32/64, Windows 8.1 32/64, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion,Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac OS X 10.9...
- Supercharged wired connection
- USB 3.0 port: USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet ports ensure ultimate media streaming and fast data transfer of photos, video, data files or connecting devices across your network. USB 3.0 is 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
- Up to 2.8 times faster than Wireless-N technology: Simultaneous dual-band speed up to N300 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + AC867 Mbps (5 GHz) for media-intense applications
- Linux-based Internet-sharing Router with built-in 4-port Switch and Wireless-G Access Point
- Shares a single Internet connection (10/100 WAN) with 4 Ethernet wired (10/100 switched LAN ;Compliant with the IEEE 802.11b/g protocol;LEDs: Power, DMZ, WLAN, Ethernet (1, 2, 3, 4), Internet
- Max. Link Rate:54 Mbps; Has 2 External Antennas ; supports WPA2 standards for use of the available encryption regardless of client devices and features a built-in SPI firewall to prevent potential attacks from the Internet
- Interface: Ethernet Port; Ports: 1x 10/100 WAN, 4x 10/100 Switched LAN, 1x Power;Dimensions 3.91 x 3.85 x 3.92" / 99.5 x 97.8 x 99.6 mm
- Platform Compatibility: Windows XP , Windows Vista 32/64 ; package includes router and no modem. Operating Humidity:10 to 85% Noncondensing
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1600 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewall, and more. This product is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 375 Mbps. A...
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Timer Warner Cable, BrightHouse, WOW, CableOne, RCN, Mediacom and other cable service providers for use in modem ownership programs that save rental fees up to $132 per...
- Built-in high-speed WiFi router with AC1600 Wi-Fi provides Internet access for WiFi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, game stations, HDTVs, Amazon Echo, Google Home, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and AppleTV. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit...
- AnyBeam beamforming at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range.
- Integrating the cable modem and router creates a more reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design further minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life...
- Faster WiFi speed 300 + 450 - up to 750Mbps
- Improves WiFi range for medium to large homes
- Wirelessly access and share USB Hard Drive and Printer
- IPv6 Compatible-Future-proof your network
- NETGEAR GENIE APP - Personal dashboard to monitor, manage and repair your network
- 10X'S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only "Fast Ethernet" ports that max out at 100Mbps. Our router has Gigabit ports to give you 1,000Mbps for lag-free 4K video streaming & gaming.
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the wireless signal directly to your device
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access gives a separate safe and secure connection to guests
- FULL CONTROL: Are the router lights too bright? Turn them off! Are your kids staying online too late at night? Restrict access to only the times you want
- RANGE EXTENDER: Extend any existing wireless network using the Universal Range Extender Mode to cover even larger areas & keep all your devices on the same network
- Awesome speed: Maximum speed up to 5GHz 433Mbps or 2.4GHz 150Mbps. Ideal for gaming online and seamless HD video streaming. Ultra-fast AC600 wireless adapter speed with 802.11ac.
- Awesome 2dBi external antenna design: High Gain Long-Range 2dBi Antenna can help you connect even when signals are weak. Much more stable signal, no more drops, moves in full rotation, easy to set it where you need to pick up the best signal.
- Awesome compatibility: No drivers required for Windows 10! Just plug and play! Compatible with windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac OS 10.4-10.12.4..
- Awesome quality : 802.11AC - the newest wifi technology, High-end technology to ensure the quality of the products, increase of service life. Works with Any WiFi Routers.
- Awesome Warranty Service: we offer 12 MONTH WORRY-FREE WARRANTY, if you have any problems when using, just contact us. We must provide you with satisfactory service and solve the problem quickly！
- Stream in 4K on multiple devices and reduce buffering by upgrading to 1200 Mbps AC WiFi (N300+AC900)
- Gigabit Ethernet ports, ideal for any internet plan and allow you to directly connect your wired devices
- USB Access - Share your USB drive content wirelessly
- TP-Link Tether app - Easily set up and manage your home network at home or remotely.System Requirements:Microsoft Windows 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1/10 MAC OS, NetWare, UNIX or Linux
- 2-year warranty and FREE 24/7 technical support
- External Powerful Antenna:High Gain Long-Range 2dBi Antenna can help you connect even when signals are weak.
- High Speed: Up to 600Mbps Wi-Fi speeds on 5GHz (433Mbps) or 2.4GHz (150Mbps) bands: Performance to reduce freezing and lags when streaming and gaming.Ultra-fast AC600 wireless adapter speed with 802.11ac
- Plug-and-Play: Windows 10 is plug and play. Setup CD included; Once you've run the software, you can simply insert the adapter to get connected
- Works with Any WiFi Routers: By using AC600 AC wireless adapter, you can upgrade your PC,laptop or Mac to work with the latest AC WiFi router for faster speed and extended range.
- ANEWKODI USB Wireless Network Adapter Support Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista (32-bit/64-bit),Mac OS 10.4~10.12.1. We offer 12 MONTH WORRY-FREE WARRANTY, if you have any problems when using, just contact us. We must GIVE YOU A REPLACEMENT or REFUND...
- WiFi speeds up to 300+900 Mbps
- Upgrade your WiFi to support new AC devices
- Works with all N150, N300, N600 and AC devices.System Requirements:Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux. Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- ReadySHARE USB Access-Wirelessly access & share USB storage
- Nighthawk App - Easily setup your router, manage Internet access by pausing and resuming internet instantly. All from your mobile device!
This List was Last Updated: updated on 2018-06-19 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure