A wireless router acts as a bridge between your connection to the Internet and your computers, tablets, and other mobile devices. The router allows multiple users to connect to the Internet at the same time through a Wi-Fi connection. Routers can vary, depending on what you need it for, so it’s important to know what you’re buying.
Kinds of Wireless Router Available
Wireless routers come under three classifications – B, G, and N. The letters refer to the wireless communication standard on which your particular router is based, and these include 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b.
These codes refer to the generation of the router, and thus the standard speed you should expect from the device. The B router is a first generation device, a G router is the second generation, and an N router is the newest generation of devices. The best wireless routers are N- generation. This is the best wireless router for home and business purposes owing to its improved speeds.
Routers also come in Two Radio, Selectable, and Dual Band options.
What to Look for in a Wireless Router
Looking to purchase a wireless router? You should first understand the two bands of wireless communication, which are 2.4GHz and 5GHz. B and G-standard routers will use the 2.4GHz band. However, a more modern G-standard router is able to use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. A Single Band router will only operate on the 2.4GHz band, whereas a Dual Band router can operate on both.
If you’re looking for the fastest speeds, you should consider purchasing the latest generation N routers. When you use 2.4GHz routers, your device will be competing with other home appliances and devices that operate on this frequency, including wireless phones and even your microwave.
An N-generation device operating on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz can provide a more reliable service for multiple devices.
Tips When Buying a Wireless Router
When looking for your new router, you should consider a number of features. As well as being a single or dual band, you should consider the following features and abilities.
Currently, most routers on the market will support regular WEP securities on top of WPA and WPA2. WEP is the Wired Equivalent Privacy security protocol that offers basic security, and WPA/WPA2 builds on that. If you are looking to control what users can access when they are using your router, you also need to consider purchasing one with Access Controls.
This means you can stop users from accessing websites that you consider to be inappropriate, which is a useful feature for both parents and businesses.
As mentioned, routers operate in two bands – 2.4GHz and 5GHz. A 5GHz-band router will be your quicker option, providing up to 300Mbps. B and G-standard routers will peak at 11Mbps and 54Mbps, respectively.
Faster is always better, but remember that your connection can only be as fast as your Internet connection will allow. For instance, if your web provider only offers an Internet connection of up to 50MBps, then only a B or G-standard router will be useful to you. However, if your Internet connection is capable of speeds beyond 54Mbps, you should consider purchasing an N-standard router.
While most users will utilize Wi-Fi connectivity for their mobile devices, laptops, and tablets, wired connectivity can be useful, too. Most routers on the market will also contain Ethernet pots, which allow you to hard-write your laptop or computer to your router. This avoids any potential obstructions to your wireless connection and means you get faster transmission speeds.
For the very fasted transmission speeds from your router, be sure to invest in a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports.
What are some of the Best Wireless Router?
In 2017, there are some extremely high-quality routers available which operate in the 5GHz band, have Gigabit Ethernet connections, and which can provide quick transmission speeds for multiple devices at once.
The Google Wi-Fi router is one of the simplest routers on the market and arguably one of the most attractive. The circular and white device is really easy to set up and offers great value for money. It has two Gigabit Ethernet ports, operates on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and can be connected to other devices to provide even coverage throughout a property.
With Gigabit Ethernet ports, single USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, an SD reader and four antennae, the Synology router combines the technology of a traditional router with a network-attached storage device. It has 4GB of built-in storage, but you can attach external memory and connect it to the Cloud. Users can also download VPN client and server apps straight onto the router, and it offers connection speeds of up to 800Mbps. This is arguably the best wireless router for gaming, thanks to its high speeds, multiple antennae and ability to connect with multiple devices seamlessly.
Linksys has released a brand new router that maintains its classic blue and black design. It has four antennae, four Gigabit Ethernet ports, a USB 3.0 port, and speeds up to 867 Mbps. It offers open-source firmware support, and its unflattering design makes it ideal for an office space that simply needs an effective tool for high Internet speeds. If you are unfamiliar with router technology, however, its extra features may be confusing – despite this, it’s one of the best wireless routers for multiple devices.
These are some of the best wireless routers of 2017, but there are plenty more available. Take these key points into account when choosing the right router for you, and you’ll get the speed and reliability you need.
- One of routers for wireless internet which works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450Mbps for 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K stream
- Long range coverage by 3 external antennas
- AC1750 WiFi-450+1300 Mbps speeds
- 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- Ideal for homes with 12 or more WiFi devices
- Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, CableONE & more.
- Three-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem + AC1600 WiFi Router+ 2 Gigabit Wired Switch
- Up to 680Mbps modem speed and Dual-Band AC1600 (2.4GHz & 5GHz) WiFi speed. 16x4 channel bonding/ Approved for plans up to 300 Mbps.
- 802.11AC Wave2 Wi-Fi, 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band
- Mu-mimo technology, three simultaneous data streams help your devices achieve optimal performance by making communication more efficient
- Long range coverage, beamforming technology delivers a highly efficient wireless connection
- Works with Amazon Alexa. 3 external antennas expand Wi-Fi range throughout a medium-size home
- Platform compatibility:Windows XP,Windows Vista 32/64,Windows 7 32/64,Windows 8 32/64,Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard,Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard,Mac OS X 10.7 Lion,Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion,Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.Power your streaming and gaming with Next Gen...
- Enjoy your favorite online games and streaming content without buffering or lag via dual-band speeds up to 1.9 GBPS
- Long range Wi-Fi router-works great with wireless internet in homes offices restaurants. Works well with Amazon Alexa and your echo devices work well on it.
- Dual band Wireless router-thee actual speed of access to the Internet is based your internet service
- High speed Wi-Fi router--867mbps at 5G and 300Mbps at 2.4GHz, enjoy you to experience smooth online gaming and video streaming with better connections
- 10X'S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only "Fast Ethernet" ports that max out at 100Mbps. Our router has Gigabit ports to give you 1,000Mbps for lag-free 4K video streaming & gaming.
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the wireless signal directly to your device
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access gives a separate safe and secure connection to guests
- Faster WiFi Speed: N600 Dual Band WiFi delivers 300 + 300Mbps
- Ideal WiFi range for medium to large homes
- Simultaneous Dual Band: Reduces interferences for better connections to more WiFi devices
- FASTER WIFI- Powerful WiFi can reach up to 1.2 Gbps for better WiFi speeds
- BETTER RANGE - Provides WiFi connectivity throughout your home for all your Internet-enabled devices.
- BEAMFORMING+ - Direct speed and connectivity to your devices
- Dual band router upgrades to 1200 Mbps high speed internet(300Mbps for 2.4GHz + 900Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K stream
- Gigabit router with 4 gigabit LAN ports, ideal for any internet plan and allow you to directly connect your wired devices
- MU-MIMO technology (5GHz band) allows high speeds for multiple devices simultaneously
This List was Last Updated: updated on 2019-07-18 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure