A wireless router acts as a bridge between your connection to the Internet and your computers, tablets, and other mobile devices. The router allows multiple users to connect to the Internet at the same time through a Wi-Fi connection. Routers can vary, depending on what you need it for, so it’s important to know what you’re buying.
Kinds of Wireless Router Available
Wireless routers come under three classifications – B, G, and N. The letters refer to the wireless communication standard on which your particular router is based, and these include 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b.
These codes refer to the generation of the router, and thus the standard speed you should expect from the device. The B router is a first generation device, a G router is the second generation, and an N router is the newest generation of devices. The best wireless routers are N- generation. This is the best wireless router for home and business purposes owing to its improved speeds.
Routers also come in Two Radio, Selectable, and Dual Band options.
What to Look for in a Wireless Router
Looking to purchase a wireless router? You should first understand the two bands of wireless communication, which are 2.4GHz and 5GHz. B and G-standard routers will use the 2.4GHz band. However, a more modern G-standard router is able to use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. A Single Band router will only operate on the 2.4GHz band, whereas a Dual Band router can operate on both.
If you’re looking for the fastest speeds, you should consider purchasing the latest generation N routers. When you use 2.4GHz routers, your device will be competing with other home appliances and devices that operate on this frequency, including wireless phones and even your microwave.
An N-generation device operating on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz can provide a more reliable service for multiple devices.
Tips When Buying a Wireless Router
When looking for your new router, you should consider a number of features. As well as being a single or dual band, you should consider the following features and abilities.
Currently, most routers on the market will support regular WEP securities on top of WPA and WPA2. WEP is the Wired Equivalent Privacy security protocol that offers basic security, and WPA/WPA2 builds on that. If you are looking to control what users can access when they are using your router, you also need to consider purchasing one with Access Controls.
This means you can stop users from accessing websites that you consider to be inappropriate, which is a useful feature for both parents and businesses.
As mentioned, routers operate in two bands – 2.4GHz and 5GHz. A 5GHz-band router will be your quicker option, providing up to 300Mbps. B and G-standard routers will peak at 11Mbps and 54Mbps, respectively.
Faster is always better, but remember that your connection can only be as fast as your Internet connection will allow. For instance, if your web provider only offers an Internet connection of up to 50MBps, then only a B or G-standard router will be useful to you. However, if your Internet connection is capable of speeds beyond 54Mbps, you should consider purchasing an N-standard router.
While most users will utilize Wi-Fi connectivity for their mobile devices, laptops, and tablets, wired connectivity can be useful, too. Most routers on the market will also contain Ethernet pots, which allow you to hard-write your laptop or computer to your router. This avoids any potential obstructions to your wireless connection and means you get faster transmission speeds.
For the very fasted transmission speeds from your router, be sure to invest in a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports.
What are some of the Best Wireless Router?
In 2017, there are some extremely high-quality routers available which operate in the 5GHz band, have Gigabit Ethernet connections, and which can provide quick transmission speeds for multiple devices at once.
The Google Wi-Fi router is one of the simplest routers on the market and arguably one of the most attractive. The circular and white device is really easy to set up and offers great value for money. It has two Gigabit Ethernet ports, operates on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and can be connected to other devices to provide even coverage throughout a property.
With Gigabit Ethernet ports, single USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, an SD reader and four antennae, the Synology router combines the technology of a traditional router with a network-attached storage device. It has 4GB of built-in storage, but you can attach external memory and connect it to the Cloud. Users can also download VPN client and server apps straight onto the router, and it offers connection speeds of up to 800Mbps. This is arguably the best wireless router for gaming, thanks to its high speeds, multiple antennae and ability to connect with multiple devices seamlessly.
Linksys has released a brand new router that maintains its classic blue and black design. It has four antennae, four Gigabit Ethernet ports, a USB 3.0 port, and speeds up to 867 Mbps. It offers open-source firmware support, and its unflattering design makes it ideal for an office space that simply needs an effective tool for high Internet speeds. If you are unfamiliar with router technology, however, its extra features may be confusing – despite this, it’s one of the best wireless routers for multiple devices.
These are some of the best wireless routers of 2017, but there are plenty more available. Take these key points into account when choosing the right router for you, and you’ll get the speed and reliability you need.
- Wireless internet router works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi Fi devices, 802. 11AC and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2. 4GHz + 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming Comparable to the router NETGEAR R6700
- 3 external antennas for long range Wi Fi
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1500 sq ft wireless coverage with AC1750 speed (Dual band up to 450 + 1300 Mbps).
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 25 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C6250 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees
- BUILT FOR FAST SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 300 Mbps speed
- Linux based Internet sharing Router with built in 4 port Switch and Wireless G Access Point
- Shares a single Internet connection (10/100 WAN) with 4 Ethernet wired (10/100 switched LAN ;Compliant with the IEEE 802.11b/g protocol;LEDs: Power, DMZ, WLAN, Ethernet (1, 2, 3, 4), Internet
- Max. Link Rate:54 Mbps; Has 2 External Antennas ; supports WPA2 standards for use of the available encryption regardless of client devices and features a built in SPI firewall to prevent potential attacks from the Internet
- Provides up to 1,500 sq. ft. of WiFi coverage for 15+ wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys App
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- AC wireless router with dual band technology for max speed to multiple devices
- Up to 2.8x faster than Wireless N
- Video streaming and gaming up to 300Mbps (2.4GHz) + 867Mbps (5GHz)
- 【High-Speed WiFi Performance】1200Mbps Wi-Fi speeds to support more connected Wi-Fi devices to your high speed home network.WANLINK wifi router is ideal for HD video streaming & gaming, reduce lag while gaming online
- 【Safe and Stable Router】Enjoy safe and secure internet connections for you and your family, with WPA/WPA2 PSK Mixed security and industry level password encryption
- 【Advanced Wifi Router Technology】4 LAN ports offer fast and secure wired connections when you need them，4 High-Performance antennas deliver strong penetrating and broader coverage around your home
- Wireless N speed up to 450Mbps, ideal for bandwidth-intensive tasks like HD video streaming, VoIP, and online gaming. Not compatible with phoneline internet. 802.11n technology, 15x faster with 5x the range of 802.11g, Three antennas for increased...
- IP based bandwidth control allows you to determine how much bandwidth is allotted to each device, WPS button for one-touch wireless security encryption. Wireless Modes- Router Mode, Range Extender(for V5 and later), Access Point Mode (for V5 and later)....
- Parental Controls to manage Internet access on children's or employees's computers, Industry-leading 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 technical support
- Minimize ping and maximize performance with four 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag free, wired connectivity and 1.7 GHz dual core processor network efficiency
- Amp up your WiFi with AC2600 dual band router that delivers blazing fast speeds up to 2.6 Gbps
- Put your gaming traffic in a designated express lane with advanced Quality of Service, bypassing network congestion and reducing lag spikes, jumps and jitters
- Concurrent Dual band (2. 4 + 5 GHz) AC1700 wireless router with the latest 802. 11ac MU MIMO (4T4R) technology for data transfer speeds up to 1700 Mbps
- Quad core processor with 256MB ram optimizes network traffic and connectivity speeds from the USB 3. 0 and 4x Gigabit LAN ports
- Mu Mimo (3x3) delivers full speed for multiple devices by connecting multiple MU MIMO compatible clients at each device's maximum Wi Fi speed simultaneously
This List was Last Updated: updated on 2019-11-15 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure