A wireless router acts as a bridge between your connection to the Internet and your computers, tablets, and other mobile devices. The router allows multiple users to connect to the Internet at the same time through a Wi-Fi connection. Routers can vary, depending on what you need it for, so it’s important to know what you’re buying.
Kinds of Wireless Router Available
Wireless routers come under three classifications – B, G, and N. The letters refer to the wireless communication standard on which your particular router is based, and these include 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11b.
These codes refer to the generation of the router, and thus the standard speed you should expect from the device. The B router is a first generation device, a G router is the second generation, and an N router is the newest generation of devices. The best wireless routers are N- generation. This is the best wireless router for home and business purposes owing to its improved speeds.
Routers also come in Two Radio, Selectable, and Dual Band options.
What to Look for in a Wireless Router
Looking to purchase a wireless router? You should first understand the two bands of wireless communication, which are 2.4GHz and 5GHz. B and G-standard routers will use the 2.4GHz band. However, a more modern G-standard router is able to use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. A Single Band router will only operate on the 2.4GHz band, whereas a Dual Band router can operate on both.
If you’re looking for the fastest speeds, you should consider purchasing the latest generation N routers. When you use 2.4GHz routers, your device will be competing with other home appliances and devices that operate on this frequency, including wireless phones and even your microwave.
An N-generation device operating on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz can provide a more reliable service for multiple devices.
Tips When Buying a Wireless Router
When looking for your new router, you should consider a number of features. As well as being a single or dual band, you should consider the following features and abilities.
Currently, most routers on the market will support regular WEP securities on top of WPA and WPA2. WEP is the Wired Equivalent Privacy security protocol that offers basic security, and WPA/WPA2 builds on that. If you are looking to control what users can access when they are using your router, you also need to consider purchasing one with Access Controls.
This means you can stop users from accessing websites that you consider to be inappropriate, which is a useful feature for both parents and businesses.
As mentioned, routers operate in two bands – 2.4GHz and 5GHz. A 5GHz-band router will be your quicker option, providing up to 300Mbps. B and G-standard routers will peak at 11Mbps and 54Mbps, respectively.
Faster is always better, but remember that your connection can only be as fast as your Internet connection will allow. For instance, if your web provider only offers an Internet connection of up to 50MBps, then only a B or G-standard router will be useful to you. However, if your Internet connection is capable of speeds beyond 54Mbps, you should consider purchasing an N-standard router.
While most users will utilize Wi-Fi connectivity for their mobile devices, laptops, and tablets, wired connectivity can be useful, too. Most routers on the market will also contain Ethernet pots, which allow you to hard-write your laptop or computer to your router. This avoids any potential obstructions to your wireless connection and means you get faster transmission speeds.
For the very fasted transmission speeds from your router, be sure to invest in a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports.
What are some of the Best Wireless Router?
In 2017, there are some extremely high-quality routers available which operate in the 5GHz band, have Gigabit Ethernet connections, and which can provide quick transmission speeds for multiple devices at once.
The Google Wi-Fi router is one of the simplest routers on the market and arguably one of the most attractive. The circular and white device is really easy to set up and offers great value for money. It has two Gigabit Ethernet ports, operates on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and can be connected to other devices to provide even coverage throughout a property.
With Gigabit Ethernet ports, single USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, an SD reader and four antennae, the Synology router combines the technology of a traditional router with a network-attached storage device. It has 4GB of built-in storage, but you can attach external memory and connect it to the Cloud. Users can also download VPN client and server apps straight onto the router, and it offers connection speeds of up to 800Mbps. This is arguably the best wireless router for gaming, thanks to its high speeds, multiple antennae and ability to connect with multiple devices seamlessly.
Linksys has released a brand new router that maintains its classic blue and black design. It has four antennae, four Gigabit Ethernet ports, a USB 3.0 port, and speeds up to 867 Mbps. It offers open-source firmware support, and its unflattering design makes it ideal for an office space that simply needs an effective tool for high Internet speeds. If you are unfamiliar with router technology, however, its extra features may be confusing – despite this, it’s one of the best wireless routers for multiple devices.
These are some of the best wireless routers of 2017, but there are plenty more available. Take these key points into account when choosing the right router for you, and you’ll get the speed and reliability you need.
- Linux-based Internet-sharing Router with built-in 4-port Switch and Wireless-G Access Point
- Shares a single Internet connection (10/100 WAN) with 4 Ethernet wired (10/100 switched LAN ;Compliant with the IEEE 802.11b/g protocol;LEDs: Power, DMZ, WLAN, Ethernet (1, 2, 3, 4), Internet
- Max. Link Rate:54 Mbps; Has 2 External Antennas ; supports WPA2 standards for use of the available encryption regardless of client devices and features a built-in SPI firewall to prevent potential attacks from the Internet
- AC1750 WiFi-450+1300 Mbps speeds
- 1GHz Dual Core Processor
- Ideal for homes with 12 or more WiFi devices
- Delivers speeds of up to N300 + AC867 mbps
- Does not include modem. Platform compatibility: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32/64, Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8 32/64, Windows 8.1 32/64, Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion,Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac OS X 10.9...
- Supercharged wired connection
- WiFi speeds up to 300+900 Mbps
- Upgrade your WiFi to support new AC devices
- Works with all N150, N300, N600 and AC devices.System Requirements:Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux. Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- 10X'S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only "Fast Ethernet" ports that max out at 100Mbps. Our router has Gigabit ports to give you 1,000Mbps for lag-free 4K video streaming & gaming.
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the wireless signal directly to your device
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access gives a separate safe and secure connection to guests
- 【Ultra-fast speed】:Upgrade your WIFI speed to 1200Mbps Wi-Fi speeds on 5GHz (867Mbps) or 2.4GHz (300Mbps) bands, excellent for reducing freezing and lags when streaming and gaming.
- 【Plug and Play & Awesome compatibility】: Plug and play for Windows 10! The wifi adapter Compatible with Windows 10/8/8.1/7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac OS 10.4-10.13. Works with most Wi-Fi routers, once you've installed the CD and run the software, you can...
- 【USB 3.0 interface】: USB 3.0 supports transfer rates of up to 5Gbps,10 times faster than USB 2.0,ensures WiFi adapter maximum throughput performance and more stable internet connection.Backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1 devices.
- One of routers for wireless internet which works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450Mbps for 2.4GHz + 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K stream
- Long range coverage by 3 external antennas
- High Power Gigabit 1200Mbps Wireless Router, equivalent to 2600Mbps normal routers. Come with 6 Omni directional high-gain Antenna - Suffice to penetrate two to three walls and reach up to 400 square meters of coverage.
- Equipped with three processors MT7621 + MT7612EN + MT7603 - 3 core processors working simultaneously, provides even better wireless performance, transmission rates, and stability without drops and lags.
- Supports IEEE 802.11ac standard - The newest generation of WiFi technology. Total transmission rate up to 1200Mbps. Support 100 devices online .
- External Powerful Antenna:High Gain Long-Range 2dBi Antenna can help you connect even when signals are weak.
- High Speed: Up to 600Mbps Wi-Fi speeds on 5GHz (433Mbps) or 2.4GHz (150Mbps) bands: Performance to reduce freezing and lags when streaming and gaming.Ultra-fast AC600 wireless adapter speed with 802.11ac
- Plug-and-Play: Windows 10 is plug and play. Setup CD included; Once you've run the software, you can simply insert the adapter to get connected
- Faster WiFi speed 300 + 450 - up to 750Mbps
- Improves WiFi range for medium to large homes
- Wirelessly access and share USB Hard Drive and Printer
This List was Last Updated: updated on 2018-08-19 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure