War games have been around for a long time. These are used to prepare an army for battle or the beginning of a surprise attack. Since people are not able to use real guns in this game, Bob Gurnsey, Hayes Noel, Charles Gaines and nine others decided to play this game by using markers that were originally used to tag cattle and trees. This game originated in 1981.
Later on, markers were used to shoot paintballs at other players. The bullets used for each shot is a .68 caliber gelatin capsule which comes in various colors so that one team can distinguish the shots they fire from those of the opposition. Anyone that gets hit is out of the game.
Paintball has evolved and through the years and can be played in different ways. In one version of the game teams can one flag each and the other team must capture that flag in order to win. Another game has the same objective as the first will except there is only one flag that is situated in the center of the field and each team tries to be the first to capture the flag. The other way of winning (other than capturing the flag) would be to eliminate all of the players of the opposing team with paintball hits.
The game can be played on a small scale which is called recreational paintball. This is the original way it was played in a wooded area and can be played in an area the size of a basketball court.
If there are many people who want to play and the field is a large area the game is called a scenario. The largest scenario ever was in 2005 on a 700-acre parcel of land and with 3,000 participants.
When a player who participates in a competition sanctioned by a governing body, that competition is called a tournament. Teams can be comprised of 3 to 10 players each. Rules during such events vary so people should check before entering the tournament.
For the safety of those who participate in these events, protective gear is required for each player. It consists of a helmet, chest pad, gloves, and knee and elbow pads. The guns used are only allowed to fire a maximum of 300 feet per second.
Paintball is one game that is gaining ground in the sports world. According to a study done in 2005, it is ranked as the third most popular extreme game in the world. It is considered a safe sport as long as proper equipment is used and people comply with the rules. People who are interested can sign up at the local club and join in the fun.
Ten Ways to Master the Art of Playing Paintball
Since the paintball game was discovered, many enthusiasts have found that this game is a stress reliever and some have even made a career out of it. But funds are usually short for average players and this keeps them from taking their skill to the next level. Mastering paintball can be accomplished in ten ways:
1. Playing paintball requires vigorous physical activities: running, jumping, crawling, etc. Eating right, brisk walking, running and eliminating vices such as drinking, smoking, and drugs should be attained to get into shape.
2. Be well informed: books, magazines, and online information are always available for players who want to play or master the game. More of the skills must be learned during the actual playing of the game, but tips and suggestions are important too.
3. Visual practice. Assess the environment where the game will be played. Paintball is a real-world scenario for the player. It may sound silly but try developing your instincts in a supermarket. Visualize the routes of escape, where the other shoppers are and what your next step will be.
4. Prepare all of the equipment and accessories that are needed prior to the game. Pack the batteries, towels, pads, etc. and save time looking for an item once the game has started.
5. Wear comfortable clothing that is appropriate for the paintball game. Look for comfortable camouflaged items that are loose so that movements are easily made. Do not wear clothes that make sounds when moving as this will lead the other shooters to you.
6. Before the game, if there is time use it to get the feel of the field. By doing this a player can visualize the field itself, especially during daytime. Look for hiding places and the places where you anticipate the opponents might go.
7. Attitude plays an important role in playing the game. Know your role in the paintball game so you can derive strategies not only for yourself but for the whole team.
8. Be flexible by changing tactics in every game. Opponents can see the pattern of a player and can use it against him if he does the same thing every time.
9. Review past mistakes and try not to make them again. The best tips that a player can get are from his last game.
10. Upgrade the gadgets: some accessories have inexpensive ways to upgrade. It not only increases your efficiency but also your confidence.
Mastering the game of paintball will take some time. Be patient, practice and time is more important than expensive equipment. Playing paintball is habit-forming.