The Best Gaming Laptops You Can Pick Up in 2017
Gaming laptops are computers designed to be as portable as possible while delivering as much power to the machine as possible.
Even the very best gaming laptops available are thick and heavy – at least compared to consumer laptops – and they’re also much more expensive. For this reason, it’s important to understand what you’re paying for.
Kinds of Gaming Laptops Available
There are two kinds of gaming laptops available: the computers that have attempted to be as portable as possible and those which have been designed solely with power in mind.
Powerful laptops are often designed to provide users with a simple, all-in-one unit that can be used on a desk at home. They are not designed for easy transport.
Laptops which are designed to be easy to use when you’re traveling will not be as portable as the average MacBook or consumer Windows PC. They will be bulkier, but as portable as possible.
The most portable gaming laptops tend to have screens that are 13 to 14 inches in size. Medium portability gaming laptops will be around 15 inches, with the least portable gaming laptops having screens that are 17, 18, and even 20 inches in size.
What to Look for in a Gaming Laptop
There are three important qualities of a gaming laptop – these are the graphical capabilities of the laptop itself, the audio quality of its speakers, and the quality of the screen. A combination of quality graphics, audio, and screen provide you with an optimum gaming experience.
The graphics card in a gaming laptop, or the GPU, determines your gaming experience. An example of a good quality graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, though a higher performance gaming card would be the 1070. For the best graphics, look to the 1080 or similar cards.
A quality, HD display will allow you to enjoy the benefits of your powerful GPU. A matte display allows you to enjoy the best quality video. Gloss screens will typically cause glare problems. If you want a touch screen laptop, be aware that it won’t serve much purpose.
Don’t forget the audio. Quality speakers will ensure you can be fully immersed into the gaming experience. Many laptops also come with audio software to improve your experience.
When choosing the best budget gaming laptop, there are lots of things you need to consider. The following tips will help you get the best deal on a gaming laptop and will ensure that you have the power you need to stream and play graphics-intensive games.
1. Avoid Touch Screen Laptops
Gaming laptops don’t need touch screens. Most touch screen laptops only come in handy when they can be folded, in the style of a Lenovo Yoga, or when the screen can be removed. Gaming laptops are always thicker and heavier than traditional laptops, meaning a touch screen doesn’t come in handy – so avoid gaming laptops which include them, as it is a needless expense and drains battery life.
2. Use Solid State Storage
Solid state storage is much quicker and more reliable than traditional hard drives. By choosing solid state storage for your gaming laptop, you can enjoy quicker game installs and load times. You also won’t risk damaging your hard drive as easily if you ever knock or drop your laptop.
3. Choose a Comfortable Keyboard
The keyboard on a gaming laptop should be an important deciding factor. If your keyboard is not comfortable to use, then it will hinder your entire gaming experience. You will have to rely on an external keyboard, which isn’t always possible. So be sure to choose a keyboard that you will be able to use for extended periods of time in comfort.
The Best Gaming Laptops of 2017 Under $1500
- Latest 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.8GHz | Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Latest NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen IPS display, Red Backlit Keyboard
- Display: 15.6" Full HD EDP IPS-Level | Operating System: Win 10 Multi-language
- Processor: New Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8300H 2.3 - 4.0GHz
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti 4G GDDR5
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8300H processor (up to 3.9GHz) and GeForce GTX 1050 for superior gaming performance and multitasking
- Portable design with 0.98" thin profile and weight of only 5.07 lbs
- Desktop-style red-backlit keyboard with 1.8mm key travel distance and rated for 20-million keystroke durability
- Processor: 8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H Processor, 6-Core, 2.2GHz up to 4.1GHz
- Video graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
- Display: 17.3-inch diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
- 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Processor (Up to 2.5 GHz)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen IPS display
- 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7300HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
- 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
- 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive , No Optical Drive option
- Display: 15.6" Full HD eDP 1920x1080 | Operating System: Windows 10 . Gb LAN
- Processor: Core i7-7700HQ (2.8 - 3.8 GHz). Visualize key system information so that its clear at a glance.Mini mode display system information on a small size window
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4G GDDR5.AC Adapter:150 W adapter
- Powerful 7th-generation Intel Quad-Core i5-7300HQ 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.50 GHz
- 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory, 1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive with 8GB Cache
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5, Optical Drive Not included, Backlit Keyboard
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 4.1GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Overclockable Graphics with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC )
- 7th-generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ quad-core 2.8GHz (Turbo to 3.8GHz) with discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB graphics
- Slim 0.9" profile and lightweight 5.7 lbs body with 15.6" Full HD Matte Panel
- 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD for ideal balance of OS drive speeds and storage space, 8GB DDR4 DRAM
This List was Last Updated: updated on 2018-11-13 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure