The Best Gaming Laptops You Can Pick Up in 2017
Gaming laptops are computers designed to be as portable as possible while delivering as much power to the machine as possible.
Even the very best gaming laptops available are thick and heavy – at least compared to consumer laptops – and they’re also much more expensive. For this reason, it’s important to understand what you’re paying for.
Kinds of Gaming Laptops Available
There are two kinds of gaming laptops available: the computers that have attempted to be as portable as possible and those which have been designed solely with power in mind.
Powerful laptops are often designed to provide users with a simple, all-in-one unit that can be used on a desk at home. They are not designed for easy transport.
Laptops which are designed to be easy to use when you’re traveling will not be as portable as the average MacBook or consumer Windows PC. They will be bulkier, but as portable as possible.
The most portable gaming laptops tend to have screens that are 13 to 14 inches in size. Medium portability gaming laptops will be around 15 inches, with the least portable gaming laptops having screens that are 17, 18, and even 20 inches in size.
What to Look for in a Gaming Laptop
There are three important qualities of a gaming laptop – these are the graphical capabilities of the laptop itself, the audio quality of its speakers, and the quality of the screen. A combination of quality graphics, audio, and screen provide you with an optimum gaming experience.
The graphics card in a gaming laptop, or the GPU, determines your gaming experience. An example of a good quality graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, though a higher performance gaming card would be the 1070. For the best graphics, look to the 1080 or similar cards.
A quality, HD display will allow you to enjoy the benefits of your powerful GPU. A matte display allows you to enjoy the best quality video. Gloss screens will typically cause glare problems. If you want a touch screen laptop, be aware that it won’t serve much purpose.
Don’t forget the audio. Quality speakers will ensure you can be fully immersed into the gaming experience. Many laptops also come with audio software to improve your experience.
When choosing the best budget gaming laptop, there are lots of things you need to consider. The following tips will help you get the best deal on a gaming laptop and will ensure that you have the power you need to stream and play graphics-intensive games.
1. Avoid Touch Screen Laptops
Gaming laptops don’t need touch screens. Most touch screen laptops only come in handy when they can be folded, in the style of a Lenovo Yoga, or when the screen can be removed. Gaming laptops are always thicker and heavier than traditional laptops, meaning a touch screen doesn’t come in handy – so avoid gaming laptops which include them, as it is a needless expense and drains battery life.
2. Use Solid State Storage
Solid state storage is much quicker and more reliable than traditional hard drives. By choosing solid state storage for your gaming laptop, you can enjoy quicker game installs and load times. You also won’t risk damaging your hard drive as easily if you ever knock or drop your laptop.
3. Choose a Comfortable Keyboard
The keyboard on a gaming laptop should be an important deciding factor. If your keyboard is not comfortable to use, then it will hinder your entire gaming experience. You will have to rely on an external keyboard, which isn’t always possible. So be sure to choose a keyboard that you will be able to use for extended periods of time in comfort.
The Best Gaming Laptops of 2017 Under $1500
- 9th Generation Intel Core i7 9750H 6 Core Processor (Up to 4.5GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Graphics with 6GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15.6 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED backlit IPS Display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness and 72 percentage NTSC)
- A new dimension of gaming performance awaits - with 9th-generation Intel Core i5 processors, the IdeaPad L340 gaming has the power you need to outshoot, outrun, and outsmart anyone. Includes 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB NVMe SSD
- Take it to the next level - with the latest NVIDIA GeForce Graphics behind you, you can tame the hottest titles with faster, smoother, and more power-efficient gameplay. Plus, the 15.6-Inch Screen delivers a stunning full HD IPS Display with 1920 x 1080...
- A portal to a new sound Dimension - hardwired into every IdeaPad L340 gaming is advanced Dolby Audio technology. Take your mobile gaming experience to another dimension and have a real blast along the way
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB graphics (base: 1395MHz, Boost: 1560MHz, TDP: 50W)
- Quad-core AMD Ryzen 5 r5-3550h Processor
- 15.6” 120Hz Full HD (1920x1080) IPS-Type Display
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 4.1GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Overclockable Graphics with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC )
- AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual Core Processor (Up to 3.5GHz); 4GB DDR4 Memory; 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 15.6 inches Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED backlit IPS Display; AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
- 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port, 2 USB 2.0 Ports & 1 HDMI Port with HDCP support
- Display: 15; 6 inches FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS Level, 60Hz, 45 percent NTSC, Thin Bezel
- Processor: Intel Core i5 9300H 2; 4: 4; 1GHz
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4G GDDR5
- AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (2.1 GHz base clock, up to 3.7 GHz max boost clock, 6 MB cache, 4 cores). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 3GB dedicated graphics memory. Featuring innovative new architecture, they deliver elite, multi-threaded...
- 15.6" diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080). With the Pavilion’s anti-glare panel, outfitted with a non-reflective, low-gloss design for less glare, even in direct sunlight. Full HD resolution and a lightning-quick refresh...
- 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C, 1x USB 3.1 Type-A, 1x USB 2.0 Type-A, 1x RJ-45, 1x HDMI 2.0, 1x headphone/microphone combo jack. Multi-format SD media card reader. Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5 combo.
- Display: 15.6 inches Fhd (1920 x 1080), IPS-Level 60Hz 45 percent ntsc thin Bezel 1920x1080 16: 9
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 [Max-Q] 4G GDDR5
- Processor: Intel Core i7-9750h 2.6 - 4.5GHz
- With the latest 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H mobile processor; (2.60 GHz, Max Turbo Frequency 4.50 GHz,12 MB SmartCache); Powerful 6-core, twelve-way processing performance.
- With a beautiful 15.6" Full HD display; the 1920 x 1080 resolution boasts impressive color and clarity. Energy-efficient LED backlight, With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics. Backed by 4GB GDDR5 dedicated video memory for a fast, advanced GPU to fuel...
- 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 SDRAM Memory for full-power multitasking; 1TB HDD + 512GB Solid State Drive, While offering less storage space than a hard drive, a flash-based SSD has no moving parts, resulting in faster start-up times and data access, no noise, and...
- Powerful AMD Quad Core A12-9720P Processor (2.7 GHz, up to 3.6GHz); Performance that Matters for Everyday Users.
- 15.6" anti-glare Full HD WideView display with ASUS Splendid software enhancement; AMD Radeon R7 Integrated graphics chipset with shared video memory provides solid image quality for Internet use, movies, basic photo editing and casual gaming.
- 4GB DDR4 2400 MHz sdram Memory for full-power multitasking; 128GB SSD offers a compact warehouse for storing all your favourite movies, music, photos, and more in one convenient place
This List was Last Updated: updated on 2019-12-16 / Amazon Affiliate Disclosure